My longtime friend, Kyle (some of you will know him), emailed me this question yesterday. He has experience more than his share of pain, suffering and devastation, so his question is not just a mind and soul teaser…it is an honest question. It deserves an honest attempt at an answer.
…give me your theological position regarding this question: do you think God has anything to do with the "natural disasters" or since Satan is the "Prince of the Air" and the "god of this age," do you think that he is the one that is in charge here......and don't give me the "party line" answer that God "allows" things like this to happen.......i wanna know who's in charge...........so ante up to that one.
OK...I'll take a stab at it. It is a theological perplexity, but I do have a position on this, and things like it. I would put this hurricane disaster into a category of "issues" that are hard to understand. Things like the following:
Natural disasters: (hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, and even termite infestation (which causes more homes to be lost each year than tornadoes).
Human disasters: The Saddam Hussein's, Hitler's, etc. All the destruction and carnage they produce and inspire in others.
Natural human disasters, such as disease, and especially the "tough" ones: Mental illnesses, cancer, dementia, and many other less known, but equally debilitating human conditions and diseases. Not the least of which is the whole epidemic rate of homosexuality and other kinds of sexual brokenness. Do these people ASK for these conditions? The truthful answer is NO, they don't.
Whether you are talking about nature or human beings, there are those things that just happen and those that are caused. Whether caused or not, they come from the same source....Satan's rule on the earth as a result of the fall of man (Adam and Eve gave up the dominion...rule over the earth that was given to them). Some of it is directly related to his activity, and some (my belief is that overwhelmingly, MOST) is as a result of the collateral damage of sin. It goes back to the Garden of Eden. Where else could it come from? Could these things be the purpose, plan, and hand of God? I reject that. If I believed that, I am the stupidest person in the world for being in my line of work. I personally think that God HATES these things, but they are part of the package our first parents bought for us. God does have a solution that has been initiated, though not fully enacted at this point in time. Can God bring good things from them...of course. But to say they are "allowed" by God as an answer to disaster, pain, and suffering is shallow and insensitive to my thinking. It is like saying that every time I go to a house fire, the firemen are there...so they must be the one's who are allowing fires to happen. This is the reason that I have much grace for those who suffer from the collateral damage of sin. I refuse to shoot the wounded or to heap more pain on those who suffer from a disaster by saying, "well, it must be that God allowed this for a reason..." Are you suffering from your afflictions because it is God allowing this in your life for a reason? I don't think so. Has it been made more severe by some of your choices or activities? I don't know...perhaps, but that doesn't make me have less compassion...it in fact makes me have MORE. That is the heart of the response of Jesus to the woman caught in adultery. That is the best I can do. SO....did the great Satan fling that hurricane toward the Gulf Coast, knowingly and purposely causing all the destruction and sorrow we have seen? I don't think so, though it does play into his hand very nicely, and he did have a direct hand in its origin. Did God "allow" the hurricane to take place for some unknown reason (or as some have suggested, because New Orleans is a known center for voodoo, illicit sex, and the like)? I don't think so. This world is SERIOUSLY flawed, and will continue to experience disasters, both caused and natural. Which brings me to one last thought: I would think the term "Unnatural Disaster" is more appropriate and closer to the real truth. The world was created so that "natural" would be good, decent, void of disaster and mayhem. What we are seeing, and seemingly with increasing frequency (though I can't really substantiate that claim), are ACTS OF AN UNNATURAL condition from the way we were created to live and the world that was created for us to live in. GOD IS IN CHARGE (the right response, as we all know), to answer your question directly, but He sure is a curious landlord at times! You'd think He'd want to take better care of his stuff. It must mean that all this "stuff" is not all that permanent....do you think? There you have it. I don't have any answers....only my best effort to try and understand the impossible to explain!
The Gatekeeper
10 comments:
I would like to comment on this one when I get a chance but getting ready to hike the Grand -pray for us.
Love Sheesh
I look forward to your views on this topic. Have a great hike...when does it happen?
we pack tonight leave tomorrow...
had errands like crazy today...really wiped now...
She2
Well i finally made my way to your blog site.........what does blog stand for or mean anyway??? clearly you've put a lot of work into this site....don't you still have a job??LOL (love ya')i like your site much better than i like most of the sites like "MYSPACE", anyhow, leave it to kyle to send you this question :O)tell him i said hello and to email me and catch up! in response to your response to kyle's question i'm good with your response to about a 98% level, not to your surprise i do disagree with the characterization of homosexuality as something growing in "epidemic" proportions which implies it is a disease....i and the diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders took it off the list of a condition that is a disease or mental disorder a long time ago.......there....my two cents, you'd be disappointed if i didn't have any comment right? ttys, love you, denise
Mark, I was going through scripture the other day and writing a bunch down for a friend who needs to hear what the Lord says about issues in her life and while doing that I ran into about, who knows, an untold amount of scripture that says alot on this subject and very firmly (maybe 40 scriptures with out even really searching) The reality is I agree with what you say up to a point but I can not disagree with the Word, that is so in your face either and clear. If you want me to list some of them I can but it will take some time...of which I don't have loads of right now.
Anyway that is a very short version that is NOT very clear, I know...but maybe I will clarify someday? The question is do I have time to open a can of worms? The other is ....is it worth it? God still loves his children THAT I know.
Love Sheesh
It is totally up to you if you want to list scriptures you feel are pertinent to this discussion. If you are asking me if I want to be "enlightened" then my answer is, of course...always. However, I will say that I may or may not find the scriptures you use to support your views as "clear and in four face" as you do. Everyone who is a Bible believing, genuine follower of Jesus says they don't have opinions...only what the Bible says. How then can we come up with such a diversity of views on exactly what the Bible says? Again...if you interes in this discussion is such that it is worth your time and energy, then I say have at it. Only you can make that call.
Thanks for the post.
This is a wonderful medium of communication. I would hate to think that there are those whose schedules are so full that they have so precious little time to engage in it.
It is pretty interesting that the pat answer for when something bad happens that "God allowed it" but when something good happens its "God did it". If God is sovereign and I believe the scriptures teach that He is, then even the bad things that happen are under His complete control. Personally, I wouldn’t want it any other way. When we read in the scriptures about the plagues that befell Egypt, we don’t say… well God allowed it to happen. When we read about the ground opening up and swallowing disobedient Israelites, we don’t say God allowed it. I don’t believe that anything happens outside of God’s control and I do believe that there is a purpose behind all of it (even though we are looking through a mirror dimly and are not able to see the “WHY”). Even the suffering of Job began with God saying “Have you considered my servant Job, there is none like him on the face of the earth”.
It’s late and I am probably not making much sense… but I did want to chime in. I am praying that God will allow me to be teachable… so please correct me if I’m mistaken.
God Bless,
The Commander
Good thoughts, Commander. I think you put your finger on some interesting events "from the hand of God." The events you cited, and I would include the Ananias and Sapphira even in Acts (for those who want an NT example) are obviously God directed and God initiated. They are also, obviously, for a specific reason, message, or intervention from God to a specific person or people. I have no tension with that whatsoever. I don't see a storm such as the recent Katrina in that category. I do think ALL things are under God's control, in that He can choose to let it happen, change it's course, or quiet it altogether. That seems obvious to me...as He did on the sea of Galilee on at least a couple of occasions. I still maintain that many events and acts of people are under the direct influence of "the god of this world" and Jehovah God let's them play out for this time period. I don't attribute a storm like Katrina to "God's will and purpose" for us. There is no direct message, no specific application, and no person he is intervening on behalf of here...just a "natural" disaster, which I have dubbed "unnatural" in that God didn't intend for His creation to act like that...only happened after the fall.
I'm not sure we are disagreeing or agreeing here...it is an interesting discussion, however. Thanks for the input.
Blessings,
The Gatekeeper
what about the 30,000 that have been killed in pakistan due to the earthquake...this includes innocent men, women and children....i am a father and grandfather....i would have a hard time killing my kids...i guess it's because i'm not a soveriegn father and grandfather...maybe that's it!
Post a Comment