July 29, 2008



CONGRATULATIONS CHEZ!

Chez Reavie won his first PGA Tour event, The 2008 Canadian Open, on Sunday. He held off a field of veterans and rising stars to post a three shot victory.

Chez is from Mesa, and attended Rhodes Jr. High with Matt and Mike, as well as Dobson High. Mike and Chez played junior and high school golf at the Dobson Ranch Municipal Golf Course. Chez went on from high school to become a three time All-American at Arizona State. He won the U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship, which qualified him to play several PGA Tour events, including the Masters and the U.S. Open. He then became a regular player on the Nationwide Tour, and with a win in 2007, he finished the year high enough on the money list to gain his 2008 PGA Tour card. Early in his career, he suffered a severe wrist injury. That makes his victory all the more exciting and rewarding. It is nice to see a home town boy, and one you know, realize this kind of accomplishment. It doesn't come easily even with talent. He has worked hard his entire life with this goal in mind. I can attest to the fact that Chez was ALWAYS at the golf course....hitting balls, chipping, putting...playing. This win is a terrific reward for a young man who was determined to see his dream come true.

One funny anecdote: I went to Dobson Ranch early one evening to pick up Mike and Chez after they played. I couldn't find them. One of the men in the pro shop told me he saw them in the restaurant next door. There they were...eating a FULL meal. I asked: What are you guys doing? Mike said: "we're eating dinner." I said: Where did you get the money for this meal? Mike said: "We won it off these old dudes." They were in the 7th and 8th grade at the time (Chez was one year behind Mike). I laughed! Little did I know then...

So, congratulations to Chez for reaching such a milestone. His professional life will never be the same. He will be in the PGA Championship in a couple of weeks, the Mercedes Championship in Hawaii in January 2009 (only for Tour winners of 2008) and in the GRANDDADDY OF THEM ALL next April....The Masters! Oh, and the $900,000 he won on Sunday is not too bad either.

No comments: