As many of you know, I had colon surgery last September to remove a very large polyp and colon resection (cut out a section of the colon and reattach it). At the risk of boring you senseless, I am going to make a few points that seem extremely important to me at this point in my life.
First: It is recommended that you have a colonoscopy by age 50, unless you have a history of colon problems in your family. Then, you need to have it much sooner. I waited until I was 60...BAD CHOICE! The good news is that none of the polyps that were removed were malignant yet (nearly all polyps are pre-cancerous). I was fortunate, and very thankful. Now I will have an annual colonoscopy, and you will never hear me complain about the stuff you have to drink for it. That is a small thing compared to colon cancer. So you don't like it....its nasty tasting....its hard to drink all of it...GET OVER IT, folks. Be thankful. If you have not had a colonoscopy yet, and you are near 50 or past....schedule it TODAY. Please!
Second: The thing that led to my colonoscopy was a general physical examine in June 2011. My blood pressure was 200/110, I was grossly overweight, I needed a colonoscopy, my cholesterol was too high. Today, I am 47 pounds lighter (and still losing....about 25 more lbs to my goal). My blood pressure is about 125/80, and my cholesteron is well below the 200 mark. I had to make some lifestyle changes to accomplish this. I am still working on it. It isn't easy, but it is easier than heart disease, a stroke, diabetes, colon cancer and general fatigue. Its the old line....if I can do it, anyone can.
Third: I found help with a simple program called Lose It! This can be accessed online and has a great app for your smart phone. It isn't a diet (I have vowed to never be on a diet), it is a way of tracking what you eat so you can make smart choices and bring your weight under control in a reasonable amount of time. I don't like diets. I don't like someone telling me what I can eat and what I can't. I don't know of anyone who is on, or has been on a diet who stays on it permanently. A lifestyle change is the only thing that makes sense. Moderation is your friend, not a chore. I am learning that. I struggle some, but at least I don't have the guilt and the disappointment of constant failure that comes with dieting. I just adjust and get back on track with the way I want to live and eat. I am eating better than I ever have! I still eat the things I like, but in moderation....extreme moderation with some items. Lose It has provided me a method of tracking what I eat so I can make choices, adjust for the infrequent times when I eat more than I should, and know I am going to be OK in the long run. There are other programs that are very similar...this is just the one I use, and I am happy to endorse it. If you want more info, I'll be happy to talk to you about it. As with anything, there are some little tips that help make it work for you.
Fourth: I really like where I am headed! The best time for me to make these changes was 30 years ago. The second best time THIS YEAR! It's the same for each one of you. I do not consider myself a "success story." I am simply a normal person who is trying to live in a way that makes sense and works, long term. There is no guarantee that I will have good health, or that I will live to a ripe old age. That may or may not happen. However, I am much happier with where I am today than where I was a year ago. LESS THAN ONE YEAR, and I have drastically changed my life and, most likely, my future. Be encouraged, folks....it is doable, and it is not that much of a drag.....really. I am rather enjoying it, actually.
Contact me if you need some encouragement, information or just a friendly kick in the pants to get started. Blessings to you all!
The Gatekeeper

7 comments:
That's awesome Mark. You minister to folk in so many ways.
Does any of this program include a self-suctioning machine that removes fat in spotty places?
Just in case you weren't aware, there are pills you can request to take instead of the drink for pre colonoscopy clean out. I had to have my 1st one recently due to family history and I took the pills. They are horse pills and you have to take allot of them but for me I felt it was easier than trying to choke down a nasty tasting drink. :-)
Congrats on your successes and thanks for sharing!
Ha....if I can figure that one out, I'll be rich
Thanks Shari...sure would love to see you again sometime. We have many great memories, don't we!
thanks for the tip and the encouragement....on we go!
Great job Mark! I added Loseit to my phone after I saw your post...now I just need to stay with it daily. I have decided to do the 3 Day Breast Cancer walk with my daughter in honor of my mom. 60 miles! I have started walking in preparation. You look great! Please share any tips you have.
Melanie
Post a Comment