I have spent all of my adult life, and really, from about age 16 on, in some kind of ministry leadership. That certainly isn’t unique. Many have had a similar experience. I have heard it said of me, and of countless others; “you have a pastor’s heart.” That expression is not about a certain personality type, since there are many. It has to do with what you value. A pastor’s heart is not about the buildings you build, the great programs you originate (or copy), the quality of music your church produces, and I believe there can be great value in all of these. A pastor’s heart is about one thing, and one thing only….RELATIONSHIPS! It is all about how you value the people you are privileged to do life with.
I learned
this from my youth pastors (volunteer, by the way…which speaks to the truth
that we ALL have calling), Burt and Peg Thompson. Because they loved me
unconditionally, and so obviously, I learned to engage in that depth of
relationship when I was leading ministry. My parents were a huge part of that
as well. When I became a “youth pastor,” I just naturally LOVED my kids. I mean
I really loved them. I still do. They are still (in my mind and heart) “my
kids.” I am quite sure that’s how Burt Thompson saw me his entire life….as one
of “his kids.” It was a natural thing to transfer that relationship value to
the whole church when I became a senior pastor. BUT….I will always have a
special place in my heart for those who were in my youth group….can’t explain
it, but it’s there. Those kids are parents and grandparents now, but they are
still my kids. You know who you are! Sappy….perhaps, but I choose to call it my
“pastor’s heart.”
So….have the
best programs you can lead. Have the best worship teams and bands possible (and
I love good ones). Have the finest building God allows you to create. BUT…when
it’s all said and done, you can have “church” without any of that, but you CAN
NOT HAVE OR BE THE CHURCH without real, authentic, loving relationships! I’ll
stake my life on that.
John 13:35 …”they will know you are my disciples by the way you love one another.”
John 13:35 …”they will know you are my disciples by the way you love one another.”
No comments:
Post a Comment