The year was 1971 and I had
graduated from high school in 1969. After briefly attending two colleges with
very little to show for it, I was “impressed” to enroll in Mid-America Nazarene
College. A church service at
Springfield, MO First Nazarene, with Dr. Bill Draper and the original Colonial
Quartet, was where I felt that impression. I enrolled for the fall term. My dad drove me to college, along with my
good friend, Bonnie Shoaf. Bonnie gave
me $10 and they dropped me off. That was
all I had.
I went through registration and
when it came time to meet Jim Elliott at the financial desk, I told him I only
had $10 in my pocket. He told me to come
and see him in his office on Monday.
Over the weekend I was hired by Bob and Mary Hughes (Hughes Shoes) in downtown
Olathe. When I met Mr. Elliott, I told
him I now had a job and that I would be paid $40 per week on Saturdays. I told him that on each Monday I would put
$30 on my school bill, I would be sending $4 home to my church, and that I
would live on $6 a week for all my other needs.
He asked me if I had a car, and I said, “no.” In that case, you can stay this semester. I stayed.
I graduated from MANC in May of
1974. In 1972 I married a young
professional nurse (Bonnie Shoaf) and she was able to land a position at St.
Luke’s School of Nursing in Kansas City.
We worked hard. We paid all we could
on my school debt. I was not able to
participate in many extra-curricular activities, because I had to work 40 hours
per week in order to stay in school. It
was not easy, but I just didn’t know any other way. My parents were not able to pay for my education. I had no scholarships or grants. On the day I graduated, I went into the
business office and made my last payment on my school debt. I graduated debt free and without any loans
to repay. I appreciate my
education. I love MNU. I am indebted to all those who helped me make
it through.
I was privileged to serve on the
Board of Trustees a few years later, and also on the Executive Committee of the
Board. Prior to that, for six years I served
as the youth pastor of College Church of the Nazarene in Olathe, KS. Dr. Paul Cunningham hired me,
and I am forever grateful to him for such an unbelievable opportunity. I have now been in pastoral ministry for
about 40 years, and I owe much of it to MNU and College Church. The nurturing
and training I received from the dedicated servants in those institutions cannot
be overstated.
MidAmerica Nazarene University is
celebrating its 50th Anniversary this year. My heartfelt congratulations and thanks to
all who have contributed to the success of this great university. I am proud to be part of the history and the
contribution MNU has made in thousands of lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment