October 08, 2016

The Libertarian Party Platform

This is not an endorsement of anyone for POTUS.  None of my political posts are for that reason. It is simply my attempt to sort out the issues and alternatives that are before us.  I don’t really want your response if it is trying to convince me to vote a particular way.  I will figure that out on my own, and I have done my due diligence in checking out the options.  If you are in a place where you are trying to do the same, this is my take on a few of the issues of a third party (specifically, Libertarian) which I have heard many talking about and trying to decide if it could be an option for their vote in November.  If you are sincerely trying to evaluate for yourself, and have found something that has been helpful in that process, feel free to comment.

Libertarian Party Platform Issues

My main issues with the Libertarian Party Platform
Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that people can hold good-faith views on all sides, we believe that government should be kept out of the matter, leaving the question to each person for their conscientious consideration.
The only legitimate use of force is in defense of individual rights—life, liberty, and justly acquired property—against aggression. This right inheres in the individual, who may agree to be aided by any other individual or group. We affirm the individual right recognized by the Second Amendment to keep and bear arms, and oppose the prosecution of individuals for exercising their rights of self-defense. Private property owners should be free to establish their own conditions regarding the presence of personal defense weapons on their own property. We oppose all laws at any level of government restricting, registering, or monitoring the ownership, manufacture, or transfer of firearms or ammunition.
Retirement planning is the responsibility of the individual, not the government. Libertarians would phase out the current government-sponsored Social Security system and transition to a private voluntary system.
We support the maintenance of a sufficient military to defend the United States against aggression. The United States should both avoid entangling alliances and abandon its attempts to act as policeman for the world. We oppose any form of compulsory national service.

My main differences (there are other less important ones) with the Libertarian Party would be:
1.          On Abortion   Allowing late term or partial birth abortion on demand.  While I am personally opposed to abortion at any time during pregnancy, I would not impose that belief on others.  I do feel that our civil laws must protect the innocent and those who are most vulnerable, and if an unborn baby would survive outside the womb under most normal conditions, then civil laws must protect that unborn child. 
2.      On Self-Defense  While I agree with much of the Libertarian Party Platform on self-defense, I would differ in this one area.  I believe there must be some way to limit the right to own, and or carry, weapons by those who are mentally unstable, or those who have convictions of committing crimes involving weapons.  Having absolutely no controls, restrictions, or monitoring of ownership of any weapon is not, in my judgment, a prudent position for the protection of our society.
3.          On Retirement and Income Security  I am not in favor of “phasing out” government sponsored Social Security or Medicare unless it is certain that a private system would actually work.  This is an area that would require more detailed explanation and research for me to support.
4.           On National Defense  The National Defense platform would be acceptable to me, except for the statement of opposition to any form of compulsory national service.  I lean toward having a requirement, including both genders, of national military or civil service at 18 years of age.  This would likely be a two year service that all young Americans are required to participate in.  Obviously, this flies in the face of “libertarian” views.

My Bottom Line:

If Gary Johnson and Bill Weld were running on either major ticket, I would most likely vote for them over either candidate now running.  I see them as significantly more reasonable and ethical than the choices we have in the GOP or Democratic parties.  I would rely on Congress to limit the changes they could enact in areas such as Social Security and self-defense. I am not a Libertarian, and Gary Johnson would not be my choice of all the candidates that tried to get on the presidential ballot.  I may well write in a candidate of my choice.

No comments: