January 16, 2017

More Than Just The Facts

I remember, as perhaps you do, the TV series, Dragnet.  I can still hear those words from Sgt. Joe Friday:  “just the facts, ma’am…just the facts.”  This is good advice when you are trying to catch a perp.  However, when you are doing life and relationships, it can be a bit confining.  I understand the need for clear and concise communication.  We need to understand each other and be understood.  There is another side to this teeter totter.  I would challenge you, and myself, to set aside some time and energy to process from our senses, not just the facts.  How do things feel, smell, taste, look and sound? Life and relationships aren’t so black and white as are the facts.  Our senses are what gives life it’s texture and color.  Take time to really see the person you are talking to.  Be aware of how their voice sounds.  Are feelings (emotions) involved in the exchange you are having?  What does their countenance say to you as you communicate?  Ask yourself;  “I wonder what they are feeling…what they are seeing…what this exchange means to them.  Are they affirmed by our exchange?  Are they feeling devalued?”  I know it’s easier, takes less effort and is not as risky to just “get the facts.”  Today….lay down your self protection mode.  Open up a bit.  Take a risk.  LIFE is more than “just the facts.”

No comments: