have
once again made me think….am I for or against capital punishment? I have read several responses to the recent
executions in Arkansas. Most of them are from folks who have deep, emotional
sympathy for the families of the victims who were murdered, which landed the
perpetrators on death row. Most of those
comments are in agreement with the sentence and the executions. Many of the comments include something like:
“lethal injection is too easy for them.”
Meaning, they ought to be tortured in a similar way that they inflicted
pain and ultimately death on their victims.
They are getting off way to easy.
Many include a sentence like: “may they rot in hell forever.” Emotions are high…understandable.
Not
having experienced such a horrific event, I will not pass judgment on the pain and
grief of those who have had to deal with the murder of someone they loved. I really do not know what I would do or
say. It does leave me with some
questions that are very difficult to process.
Does another person’s
death ever pay the price for someone who was murdered?
Does the execution of
the rightly convicted person make the pain any less, or does it in any way
soothe the hurt they have caused?
We know an execution
brings nobody back to life. We hear that all the time, but I think it is a
pretty insensitive and shallow comment to one who has been so severely wronged
and injured.
Is anger, pain and
bitterness ever satisfied by retribution?
Is there really any such thing as closure? Does execution produce it?
Is there really any such thing as closure? Does execution produce it?
Why do we feel the
need to kill them, as they have killed someone we care about?
Is focusing on, and
carrying out punishment of the guilty a way to personal peace of heart and
mind?
Does revenge lock a
person into the emotional torture and prison the perpetrator created with their
heinous action?
Is forgiveness the
only way to peace of heart and mind?
Is forgiveness
misunderstood by most of us, and therefore seemingly an impossible task?
Are we content to
allow the repulsive actions of a twisted individual to control our own
thoughts, feelings and comments?
Do I want what I
deserve, or do I need mercy?
It is
so easy to simply respond out of the anger and emotions brought on by terrible,
terrible crimes of senseless hate, perverted passion, greed, selfishness and
depravity. However, those responses seem
to do nothing but stoke the fires of hate and anger. It doesn’t call us to a higher level of love,
compassion and understanding. What are
we to do? I have a few friends, whom I love, who must endure and somehow
process these kinds of nightmares. All I feel for them is deep, genuine
compassion…not judgment.
No easy
answers…many hard questions…but somehow, in the end, mercy triumphs over
judgment.
Mark Morgan
3 comments:
I've been thinking about capital punishment as well. I have come to the conclusion that as a person who is vehemently anti-abortion in all situations, I must be as consistent as possible and come to the conclusion that society does not have the right to take the life of a criminal any more than a mother can kill her unborn baby.
Many studies have been done that argue both sides of the issue from an economic standpoint as well as is capital punishment a deterrent. People can find a study to support whatever bias they may have.
I have settled in my heart and mind that life in prison without parole is the appropriate punishment for one who knowing murders another with evil intent.
Next, questions surface about protecting one's family from an intruder or war against evil dictators. In those situations, I am willing to support the taking of another's life if it is necessary to prevent further loss of lives.
It is a moral dilemma. You are right; there are no easy answers.
Thanks for your comments, Jim
Post a Comment