CHURCH SERVICES
A Cultural Shift
Mark Morgan
There is, and
has been for some time, a shift that is occurring for church goers in
America. Culture is not a static
thing. It is dynamic. It is in constant change, though sometimes rapidly
and at other times it feels more glacial. Two things that are in flux are the
actual use of physical Bibles, and hymnals in worship services. Much of the discussion on this topic is anecdotal,
in that it is more centered in preference than in concrete data. Understanding
this does not make the discussion any less important. How something feels to the individual and the
emotional attachments we form are as important as hard facts. I have not always
acknowledged or believed this to be true.
What Is It About Bibles
and Hymnals?
There is specific data available
when it comes to evaluating how we retain information. We tend to retain more
when we engage more than one of our senses.
Hearing and seeing is more effective than simply hearing. And on it
goes. For me, a Bible is a multi-sensory
tool of worship and instruction. I feel it. I see it. I smell it (which is why I
am committed to a genuine leather Bible).
A hymn book has similar qualities. I learn page numbers (hymn 242 is
Victory In Jesus in the old edition of the hymnal I grew up with). That seems to mean something to me. I can count on it being there. It is solid. These are all points on the
feeling/emotional level of who I am and what I like. Embrace that part of yourself. Don’t put
other ways down. That only weakens the validity of your preferences.
I like
Bibles. I own more than a dozen of them. Many of us just like the feel of a
book in our hands. That is a valid reason for having and using one. Having a
Bible in my hand centers me in a way that an electronic device does not. That is a learned response, for sure. I am
not saying it is more holy. I am saying
it has a more complete feel for me. It is the Bible, not just a device. I like that and my feelings respond
differently to it. The same is true of a hymnal, but for me, to a lesser
degree. There is a connection I have to “my
Bible” that does not exist with my iPad or my cell phone. I get the same exact text from all of
them. It feels differently to me when it
is an actual Bible. The problem is that we do not have to discount one medium
in order to validate another. That is where
we lose credibility and tend to overstate our case. Just because you like it better, is a valid
argument. PERIOD. You don’t have to discount anything else to make that claim.
I like
electronic devices and Bible applications. The flexibility is enormous. I like
having multiple translations and paraphrases available to me with such ease. I
like having the immediate availability to multiple texts while I am preaching
or when listening to someone else speak. If, for some reason, I do not have my
Bible with me, I am still able to see the text, rather than just hear it. There
are other reasons I like electronics when it comes to the Bible, but many of
them are for study and preparation. This
article is about the worship service, so those advantages are another topic.
I like hymnals.
There are a few things they offer that projected words on a screen do not. I
like seeing the entire song at a glance.
My eyes and brain can work faster than the person clicking verses from a
presentation program on a computer. I like the freedom to skim the hymnal and stopping
at a familiar or particular meaningful song, though it may not be part of that particular
service’s list. As I said, I like holding a book. When I touch something, it gives me a great
sense of ownership. Most of all, I like the variety of categories of songs I
find in a hymnal. I can sing my doctrine and reinforce the tenets of my
faith. I can sing nostalgic songs about
heaven or special holidays. I can focus
on calls to worship. I can sing great anthems of historical Christianity. And,
I can sing intimate worship songs that are addressed to God, not just about Him. A hymnal incorporates all of these.
I like contemporary
worship bands and worship sets with projected lyrics. The music style speaks to me and is familiar
to the sounds that have grown up enjoying.
The songs tend to be more simple and repetitive, therefore allowing me
to internalize them to a greater degree.
I like the fact that I am not distracted by shuffling books, breaks to
announce page numbers and unnecessary talk from the song leader. I can, many times, more easily create my own worship
retreat right in the middle of a corporate service. Many of the songs are very intimate and emotional.
They tend to speak to our feelings more than to our brains. I am trying to
re-program myself to value that aspect of worship along with the cognitive parts.
I like the simplicity of contemporary worship.
There you
have it. Thoughts from an expert. ME! I
have been in church attendance since I was eight days old, and have experienced
thousands of services. My attempt is to
widen my sphere of what is good, meaningful, beautiful, helpful and
desirable. Embrace worship. Make it your own. You will have preferences, but also allow the
presence of the God to broaden your acceptable practices of worship, not narrow
them. Blessings on you, and may God’s
great grace empower you to embrace all good things of Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment