October 19, 2018

Films / Movies How Do I Evaluate Them


How Do I Personally Evaluate A Film

I do not write movie reviews. That is not my talent or interest.  I enjoy reading good reviews, and my friend, Kim Gentes writes GREAT movie, book and music reviews. I simply determine if I like it or if I don't...and why. When I think about a movie/film, I think in terms of categories.  Sometimes I just want to be entertained….to check out for a couple of hours in a “happy place,” so to speak. Sometimes I am good with a heavier theme or even something a bit disturbing.  When I think about what I would call a “good movie,” I have to think in terms of what I am looking for that film to do, or after the fact, what the movie did to me/for me.  By doing this, I don't have to pull every film through the same hoop of evaluation.  Some are not great (or even good) movies, but they did something for me that I found valuable. Uncle Buck gave me a couple of hours of pure fun that I really needed when I first saw it.  This is very subjective, and it is my own way of evaluating movies.  I'm quite sure there are better ways and much more sophisticated approaches, but hey....this works for me.

Is the film….
·       Important (example: Schindler’s List)
o   Historical significance
o   Mankind issues
o   Significant themes
·       Compelling (examples: The Godfather, The Silence of the Lambs, Braveheart)
o   Emotionally stirring (fear, hate, love, empathy, etc)
o   Motivates viewer to a specific activity
o   Relationships
o   Stays with the viewer
o   Inspirational  (great themes: courage, bravery, challenge, etc)
·       Entertaining (example: Tombstone, Sister Act, Lord of the Rings)
o   Laugh or cry
o   Fantasy/Allegories/Science fiction
o   Action/Drama
o   Horror  (which I personally avoid like the plague)
o   Chick flicks
o   Love stories
·       Enlightening (example: The King’s Speech, A Beautiful Mind, Secretariat)
o   Educational
o   Added something to the viewer
o   Challenging

No comments: